February 3rd, 2007 at 08:41pm
WordPress, the software which runs this site, has now been updated to version 2.1. I have been battling the upgrade for a couple days, and this evening I finally gave up when “Fantastico” the automated installer/upgrader starting spitting new errors at me.
Those who know me will know that I can be incredibly stubborn when it comes to solving computer problems…refusing to take a secondary approach until I have exhausted all possible explanations for the primary approach to fail.
If I had wanted to, I could have gone for the manual upgrade, and that was my secondary approach, however I didn’t want to have any more downtime than absolutely necessary…and if an automated system is supposed to be able to upgrade WordPress with little-to-no downtime, why should I accept minutes of downtime, not to mention the fact that a manual upgrade would force me to use manual upgrades forever?
Before going for the manual upgrade, I decided to check with BlueHost Support to see if there was any reason why it wouldn’t be working that they were aware of.
Kevin from BlueHost support was the person who helped me on the live chat, and after a bit of work at his end, WordPress was upgraded to 2.1
It would appear that disk space was the issue. BlueHost don’t automatically upgrade people’s webspace allowance when they change the package, mainly due to most people not even coming close to their allowance…however I had virtually hit the roof of the allowance prescribed by the previous version of my hosting package. Apparently getting it upgraded to the current 200GB webspace and 2TB/month bandwidth solved the problem.
So, thank you to kevin from Bluehost Support for his assistance.
Right now I’ve got a few minor formatting issues to fix which have come about as a result of the upgrade.
Entry Filed under: Blog News