I really need to see about setting up automated alerts for these weather warnings…at the moment it’s either a case of me hearing the warning or seeing inclement weather. Tonight it’s the latter.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for FLASH FLOODING
For people in the SOUTHERN TABLELANDS, ACT and parts of the SOUTH COAST, RIVERINA, UPPER WESTERN and LOWER WESTERN Forecast Districts.
Issued at 6:57 pm Wednesday, 28 November 2007.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Griffith, Cobar, Canberra, Goulburn, Cooma and Bombala.
Heavy rainfall, (over 40mm in 30mins) has been recorded at both Snowball and Jerangle, (to the southeast of the ACT).
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 10:00 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in the Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong region or Canberra and Queanbeyan, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in these areas.
Update: CANCELLATION SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
Issued at 9:38 pm Wednesday, 28 November 2007.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in NSW and the ACT.