October 25th, 2005 at 11:53am
Not only did it take me a very long time to choose a countdown script that I like, it then took me a long time to get it right.
Firstly I used a countdown script designed to act as calender reminders, that was pretty horrible, not to mention that it was inaccurate as the web server (which is somewhere in the US) runs on some US timezone making it’s day-by-day announcements wrong by many hours. If it were me running it, then it would run on GMT which would make sense for something which will be used by people all over the world.
I changed script to something that was capable of a countdown showing days, hours & minutes. It took me a while to get that right as well, firstly I got the time difference wrong, then I managed to get it right but added a day, then corrected it for the upcoming start of daylight savings…in the wrong direction, and have now fixed it properly.
The countdown clock is now correct (including daylight savings transition) and will remain that way as long as the webserver isn’t running on Daylight Savings Time in the US, if it is then I’m going to have to fix the countdown yet again when DST finishes in the US.
Entry Filed under: Blog News